Um Pouquinho of Brazilian Culture

Bom dia! The last few days in Barretos has been absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, due to holidays and the weekend, we have been unable to start work at the Hospital. However, that hasn’t stopped us from preparing and learning about local culture. As I mentioned previously, a big part of this is the language. Going from Spanish to Portuguese has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. On paper, it makes a lot of sense. but when it comes down to actually speaking, it is a lot more difficult. However, Pablo and I have been having Portuguese lessons/practice sessions and I am already learning so much. One of the first things I learned was the differences in sound such as with “rr.” In Portuguese,  a double r makes a “h” sound. So Barretos is actually pronounced like “Bahetos.”

20150606_140907

My Portuguese notes

Another massive part of the culture is the food. We have had non stop amazing food since we have arrived. Besides amazing fresh fruit and delicious cappuccinos,  we have also gotten to experience lots of local food. So far my favorite has been feijoada, a dish made out of black beans and meat as well as pão de queijo (cheese bread). My favorite part of the meals is that they are more than just meals. Often they are whole events at restaurants where it seems the whole town makes an appearance. Locals often start with a drink and then move onto food, which can either be a full meal, an assortment of finger foods or a combination of the two. These meals can last several hours and often have live music.

Also we happen to be in Brazil during Copa America (which is happening in Chile), which is a massive soccer tournament of national teams in the Caribbean, Central, and South America. Which means Brazil is competing. Which means we get the amazing opportunity to watch soccer games in a country where soccer is a religion. I especially can’t wait for the epic World Cup rematch of Brazil and Colombia!

The culture in Barretos is amazing and unique. It is home to a massive rodeo and cancer hospital (both of which have shaped and define the city) as well as mouth watering food, soccer, a beautiful language, and most wonderful people. I have really enjoyed my cultural immersion the last few days but can’t wait til we start work tomorrow. With Johan, a grad student from Rice, here we have been preparing by reviewing the devices, figuring out what supplies we need to get, and thinking about the vocabulary we need to learn in Portuguese.

Here are a few photos of Barretos!

20150604_123450 20150604_123316