The Benefits of Loving Coffee

The term coffee addict may be a little mild to describe my feelings towards coffee. When I found out that Pablo also has strong feelings towards coffee, I knew more than ever this partnership was going to work. So when on our very first morning in Barretos we were taken to La Maison, a local favorite for coffee, sandwiches and pastries for breakfast (café da manhã) it was love from first sip.

From that point on it became an unspoken plan to go to La Maison whenever we had free time. Pablo and I had created goals for this internship and a few of those included getting to know Barretos, fostering good relationships and experiencing the culture. La Maison has allowed to us to do all that, while providing us with a nice caffeine buzz.

This was extremely evident when we were invited to a Festa Julina event at a few of our co-worker’s houses. We agreed to go, wanting to learn more about Brazilian culture and wanting to experience this party that everyone had been talking about. Even our cafeteria has been decorated with Festa Junina/ Julina decorations for the last month and a half. But being the good guests that our moms have trained us to be, Pablo and I wanted to bring a host/hostess gift. Since it was already dark and the markets are kind of a far walk, Pablo and I decided to go to La Maison (which also doubles as a small convenience store). Having never been to a festa such as this one before, we were unsure what to bring. But in about 30 seconds, the ladies who work at La Maison guessed where we were going, what we needed and helped us pick out just the right thing.

11753882_10204868335094434_812986743_n

Festa Julina with a typical pretend “country” wedding

Pablo and I were astounded. Like most people here, it took only a few words out of our mouths before people here realized that we are not Brazilian. Most people are interested in the foreigners and are super helpful. However, as we found out from that night, as well as every time an extra little cookie sneaks its way in with our coffee that the ladies of La Maison are looking out for us. They are super sweet and help us with anything we need. La Maison related or not.

11749335_10204868332374366_1956082727_n

But this isn’t the first time we have experienced this. The people in Barretos are unfalteringly amazing. Everyone is willing to help us with anything we need. Even when Pablo was in Spain for about a week earlier in our internship, I was immediately adopted by the friends we had made here. There were several people I had barely met who instantly ate lunch with me and took me around to see Barretos. Without a second thought they invited me to dinner or lunch with their families and took us in. I haven’t seen most of my family since January and it has been so wonderful to have been adopted by our friends and their families over the last month and a half. It has really made this internship enjoyable and memorable.

11747516_10204868342894629_846801893_o

Me with one of my adoptive families 🙂